Döppeldönger DFL

A strong visual always nails the concept.
"A man alone with his thoughts lives in a crowded house"
—Don Juan Castaneda, "Conversations With Maestro Sevende Sandia"

Seconds before the start I realized I’d left my hand-held back in the car, a quarter-mile away. Holy Shit! So I sprinted back, got it, and burst through the start. And everybody had gone. This was a definite first, a DFL start with Boner Mileage. It was a fitting preview bookend to my 10:00:35 DFL finish*.

The start was a clear, calm and very cold 28F start, a sharp drop from the balmy 44F at home. All you Midwesterners can go fuck, it's SoCal. I was feeling totally naked, and only half-afraid. It was so cold, that even the venerable John Vanderpot wore long pants. Ultra-couture aside, staying ahead of cutoffs at this late stage was my only goal.

Say goodbye to my little friend

As this is a physical sport, your body makes its wishes known clearly. Gwyneth Paltrow should take note. 

At the first of several whiz-calls, I was busy admiring the northward view off the Backbone, well off-trail, when a woman who was busily singing along to Barry Manilow’s Greatest Hits shouted “No fair!”
“Life’s tough!” I replied. 
I passed her to escape the Manilow.

A mile later Mr Turtlehead awoke from his slumbers, and made his will known. It took some doing, but I found a convenient place to make the Squatting Dog Sun-Salutation. I was able to gaze out on the blue Pacific, and imagined that fateful day when Juan Cabrillo sailed past and thought “that’s some fine-ass land to conquer.”

But onward. The Race Beckons.

Hello, ladies!
Brenda Luce and Cassandra Boyle were manning the Encinal turnaround. They were wearing donut outfits. From a distance they looked like boobs. Once up close I saw the jimmies. My DFL-addled brain didn’t register that, to their obvious merriment.

Brenda; “you’re a freak!”
Me: "I’m just a guy that loves women" 
Brenda: "OK. This better be on your Strava then."

Thanks to you and all the amazing volunteers out there. 

No, this is where the story ends, dammit.

Had I not been so prodigal by wasting time at some fun aid stations, I probably would’ve hit the 10 hour finish by 1630. I also didn’t realize that in the Inexorable Logic of Ultras, the distance to finish line expands.

I squatched it as fast as my diminishing abilities would have it. Suffice to say I was happy as fuck to finish and be done with it. Note for next time: don’t jerk off in aid stations asking if they had buckle polish.

So at 10:00:30 is either a DFL or first in line DNF. 

Data Mining at its Finest

Facts: visualized
Strava can be cryptic. I've made notations on this pace chart. Draw your own conclusions.

Nostalgia, And Shit

The older I get, the faster I was.
On this weekend in 1990, I ran my first 50-miler, 1990. Avalon Benefit 50, Catalina Island, CA. Cloth bibs no less. Field capped at 100.
Finishing 10-1/2 hrs later I was a different man. Had I known in high school that athletics were this cool, I never would’ve bothered with drugs.

——
*whether this is a DFL or a respectable DNF is at the RD’s discretion. Only the UltraSignUp knows for sure. 

Mug shot courtesy of Anne Convery. You can find it here. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AC100: 2023 Is A Matter Of Course

I Didn't Conquer Kilimanjaro

If Carhartt Made Wedding Dresses…