Kilimanjaro Card Oracle and Smokes

One of an occasional series on Random Card Oracles.

I found this lonely card somewhere below Barafo Camp in the clinker. One source suggests that Ten of Diamonds is "a responsibility or alliance." Maybe.

Another source suggests Diamonds are all about money and finances, and that 10 of Diamonds: Financial prosperity, good fortune. Well, I was there heading down from Barafo Camp, where I found this little nugget.

Smokes

Elsewhere on the 10-day trek, I noticed occasional cigarette butts. In my hypoxia state, I wondered about it for maybe a split-second, then went back to the business of breathing and not breaking myself tripping over something.  

One day, our group was taking a break, resting on some fine-ass comfy rocks. I smelled a cigarette, and went to look. On the other side of the low rock wall, were a group of other porters taking their break. Being all sociable and curious, I walked around and introduced myself, at the exact moment one of them was rolling a joint from some desperate stems and seeds.

They saw my camera and said "no pictures!" 

Of course. I didn't want to get them fired or worse. I told them I was looking at my teen high-school years in that roll-up, and they cracked up laughing. 

They smoke tobacco to catch a jolt, and weed for a bit of euphoria. Made sense, and dovetailed with what I'd read about other high-altitude porters in Nepal or Peru. It also suggested they weren't paid as well as our porters. Maybe hungrier as well.

The moment ended, I thanked them for their time, and wished them well.

Previous Cartomancy posts

Vietnam 2023 Cartomancy 

Random Playing Card Oracle 

Other Kilimanjaro Reading: 

I Didn't Conquer Kilimanjaro

Kilimanjaro Gear Notes

Kilimanjaro Notes

2024 Kilimanjaro Trek: SENE Guides & Porters [photo project]

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AC100: 2023 Is A Matter Of Course

I Didn't Conquer Kilimanjaro

If Carhartt Made Wedding Dresses…